COOLING TOWERS WITH THEIR COMBINATION OF MOISTURE, WARMTH, AIR AND NUTRIENTS CREATE AN IDEAL ENVIRONMENT FOR THE GROWTH OF MICROORGANISMS. THIS BIOLOGICAL ACTIVITY RESULTS IN MANY PROBLEMS
SERIOUS PROBLEMS ARISING FROM WATER SYSTEMS IN COOLING TOWERS
- Growth of slime and bioﬁlm on heat transfer surfaces leading to reduced thermal efficiency
- Increased corrosion rates as a result of the formation of electrochemical cells within the bioﬁlm and microbiologically induced corrosion (MIC) due to the presence of anaerobic bacteria in the bioﬁlm
- Reduced efficiency of added corrosion inhibitors due to bioﬁlm blocking contact of the corrosion inhibitors with the metal surface
- Increased pumping energy to overcome the additional friction created by the presence of bioﬁlm
- Build up of objectionable odours
- Potential for pathogenic microorganisms to be harboured in the circulating water (e.g. Legionella)
THE ADVANTAGES OF XZIOX® SYSTEMS IN COOLING TOWERS
- Effective over a broad pH range.
- Controls bacteria, fungi, viruses, bioﬁlm, protozoa and algae.
- Does not react with ammonia and does not produce toxic compounds in contact with organic materials present in water.
- Effective at considerably lower dose rates than chlorine or bromine.
- Not corrosive to all equipment, pipe work and filters.
- Degrades to harmless inorganic chemicals.
XZIOX® is effective against algae, bacteria, bacterial spore, fungi, protozoa and viruses and is the only method of disinfection that is effective at controlling biofilm.
XZIOX® remains effective over a wide pH range from about 4 to 10. It does not react with ammonia or organic matter in the water and at the recommended dose rates is not corrosive. Residual chemical rapidly breaks down to harmless inorganic compounds making discharge water less toxic to the environment than conventional biocides.
Although chlorine and bromine are regarded as broad specturm biocides, they are relatively ineffective against algae and generally do not control bioﬁlm. In addition some pathogenic organisms (notably cryptosporidium) can develop resistance to chlorine. Non-oxidising biocides are not broad spectrum biocides and only control a narrow range of organisms depending on the biocide used. XZIOX® is a broad specturm biocide effectiveagainst all microorganisms.
CONTROL OF BIOFILM AND ALGAE
XZIOX® controls bioﬁlm more effectively than chlorine, bromine or non-oxidising biocides even when dosed intermittently. XZIOX® manufactured by IWS in the UK is patented pending water treatment solution called XZIOX®, which is a tried and tested, high quality solution for water issues in cooling towers. XZIOX® does not hydrolyse in water and does not react with the polysaccharides holding the bioﬁlm together.
Consequently, it is able to diffuse deep into the bioﬁlm layers destroying the microorganisms that are present. Although Chlorine can provide bioﬁlm control in cooling systems if the system is relatively clean and continuous dosing is maintained, if bioﬁlm is already present or continuous dosing is not rigorously maintained, continuous dosing will not control bioﬁlm.
XZIOX® controls algae more effectively than chlorine, bromine or non-oxidising biocides even when dosed intermittently. If conditions for the growth of algae are present, chlorine is only effective if it is dosed continuously. Even in otherwise clean cooling systems, chlorine often fails to control algae. Bromine is generally less effective than chlorine at controlling algae.
Improve your Productivity
Through effective water treatment